Sep 2, 2010

The Balancing Act

This week was my first taste at the balancing act I have taken on.  Those who know me know that I can rarely say no, and the tasks that I already have are enough to keep someone occupied pretty well.  Right now I am a wife to Daniel, and although I love him like crazy...he's not the neatest guy in the world.  I am a full-time teacher. 

Now, I am a graduate student at SDSU.  These don't include seeing friends, family, being involved in our church, and countless other things that are going on.  When I did tell Daniel what I was writing tonight, he gave me a hard time...but knows that I keep it together pretty well.  I have always thrived on being busy, it just seems to work for me. 

I wanted to blog about the things that I do to keep everything in order...

My Assistant= My Planner:
 It was ingrained in me since the beginning of college that schedules and planners are the #1 organizational tool.  Well, it is my number one friend.  I can keep any and everything in it.  Whether it is work, school, dates, appointments...you name it, it is there!  Sometimes I double book my self, but my planner always saves me!

Lists, Lists, Lists
Jamie Fun Fact:  I am obsessed with post-it notes.  On my desk are at least 5 post-its with reminders and notes.  I downsized my stock earlier this year, but I am pretty sure I have every color they come in.  When it comes to meal planning and grocery shopping I have finally masted it!  I make a menu (on the left) for the next week's meals, taking into consideration nights I have classes, Daniel works late, I babysit, or we have bible study.  I look at ads to see what's on sale, flip through my favorite magazine to find easy recipes, and look in our pantry to see what we have on hand.  Then, I make my grocery list and note what items I need at other stores (on the right).  It keeps us on our budget and we always are prepared!

Routines
I love to work out, and it helps me stay positive and feel great.  I try to work out in the mornings, and it jump starts my day and fuels me with energy to get through everything.  However, that does mean waking up at 4:45 or 5:00am with workout clothes all ready to go.  Getting out of bed is hard, but 2-3 morning during the week I make it!  I make my lunch the night before and set out my outfit for the next day.

Find Things You Love

Luckily, I LOVE to cook and try new recipes.  This helps me decompress when I come home and it fits right into my schedule.  Tonight was a perfect example.  I couldn't wait to come home and put my own twist on my chicken tortilla soup.  I forgot to defrost the chicken today, but this one was amazing!
This is usually Daniel's face before he tries something I made up on my own:
But, once he took a bite he couldn't stop raving.  It got a 7 on his scale!

Relax!
If you look closely, I have "relax" scheduled in my planner.  Relaxing for me means spending time with friends and Daniel, and doing things that aren't work, school, or housework. 
Daniel and I finally have a hobby!  We recently fell in love with roadbiking, and Daniel's bike came in yesterday so he is on cloud 9.  We already have a short ride planned for Saturday morning.  It is something that we can do together that doesn't cost us money every time, gets us outside together, and brings us closer.
Even though I try my hardest to follow all of the things, every now and then the plate is just too full.  Crying sessions have happened, but I like to think that I keep everything balanced pretty well!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, day planners, post-it notes... Are we twins?! Love keeping up with you. Love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...