May 11, 2014

He will give you more


Because I like to keep it real around here, I thought I'd provide you with some insight on how my first Mother's Day was.  

I was a blubbery mess.  

My heart has been heavy this week.  Between #bringbackourgirls, reading about a family that lost their little boy way too soon, and a childhood friend that was tragically killed in a car accident, my heart just aches.  The frailty of life has been in the forefront of my mind.  And each time I hold Nathan, I hold him a little closer and a little longer.  Sometimes I wish that there could be answers as to why this world is filled with so much sadness, so much hurt, so much destruction.  And other times I wish to never know these answers because it forces me to see each day in its own right, to snap back to what life is truly about, and to cherish each tiny moment.  

So I started off my day feeling weepy.  

This past week I came down with a nasty cold, turned sinus infection, and somehow ended up with mastitis.  Now, if your a mom and you've ever experienced this you can understand the level of pain that comes with this.  Crying is so good for the soul, but it is not good for the nose.  Two tissue boxes have been emptied by this faucet I have smack dab in the middle of my face.  So my day literally started off grabbing a billion tissues, crying a bit, and then grabbing even more tissues.  

There's the saying, "When it rains, it pours".  Well, today was that day.  My healthy household came crumbling down today.  The baby is now coughing and sneezing away, the humidifier is on full blast, and I'm diffusing essential oils like it's my job all.day.long.  Then the husband left for work, which made me have a short sympathy party for myself because he had to work on Mother's Day.  (This didn't last long, trust me.)  By 6pm the husband was home early from work, and not because he was just dying to spend time with me…nope, he was sick!  But he came down with a terrible stomach bug.  So my night included him running to the bathroom, me nursing the baby to sleep, getting a cold washcloth to put on the husband's neck and some ginger ale, then rocking the baby a bit more because his cough keeps waking him up, trying to clean up the kitchen and eat some dinner only to hear the baby crying again, and the cycle kept continuing on... 

I'm always a bit fascinated when people tell you, "God won't give you more than you can handle".  I've never read this anywhere in the Bible.  What I do know is that He will, indeed, give you more than you can handle.  This is because you can't handle life on your own.  God will give you what you can handle with Him.  So as I rocked the baby for the third time in the night or refreshed the husband's cold compress I had to remember that the only way I could get through all of this was with Him.  There just is no other way.  


1 comment:

  1. Missing you and feeling so much like I wish I could jump through the computer to help! xo friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...