Oct 11, 2011

happy tears

Joy.  You can hear it in children's laughter.  You can see it in their eyes.  You can feel it when they surprise you with what they are capable of.  This is one of the blessings being a teacher has.  It wasn't until I caught a glimpse of this joy today that I realized how encouraging my faith is.  

You see, I was in a bit of a rut.  I felt as though I was at odds with what God was putting in my life.  I didn't like certain situations and continued to think, "If only...".  I finally had the moment of truth where I realized that I obviously can't change my situations.  Instead of asking God "HOW am I going to get through this? or WHEN will this situation end" I began asking God "WHERE do you want to use me?"  God always has a plan and a purpose, so instead of running from it why not have faith that God will see me through and show me how to serve him in the meantime.  
Today I reaped the rewards of what God was trying to teach my all along.  I have a student in my class that speaks very little English and has definitely challenged me as a teacher to understand how to best meet her needs so that she can learn.  Instead of complaining about how difficult this was I began praying that God would show me how to teach this student of mine, love this student of mine, and know that children are God's greatest blessings.  

One thing I like to do with this student is ask them to show me a given emotion, which builds their vocabulary and helps with connecting an emotion to an English word.  I will say, "Show me happy...Show me sad...Show me surprised...Show me angry..."

Today as we were walking to recess, this dear student of mine turned to me and said "Show me happy...Show me sad...Show me surprised...Show me angry..."  Throughout the day this student opened my eyes to see what I had taught her.  Not only was this student playing along with me and making this game their own, they were also showing me what they had retained.  I brought over a book to read with them while doing an activity, and this student read it to me!  I mean, all of the hard work and repetition to teach this student words like "see", "and", "the", etc. had paid off as I heard their sweet voice say "I like to see the queen."  

I know it takes a teacher to really appreciate these little moments, but it made me want to cry happy tears.  

A verse that I have continued to read over and over again is this:
"But you need to stick it out, staying with God's plan so you'll be there for the promised completion."  
Hebrews 10:36 MSG

I hope that whatever seems too hard for you, has you challenged, or makes you want to cry will be encouraged by this verse and knowing God always has a plan-but we must do His will in this plan.  



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! It sounds like you are a wonderful teacher. Thanks so much for investing in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a beautiful heart. It is those moments as a teacher that matter the most. There are certain students that I remember the most and it sounds like your experience with her will forever be etched in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled upon your lovely corner of the blog world and I adore your heart! I am student teaching in kindergarten right now and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this jamie! you're such an amazing teacher :) the blog looks great, too!! miss u girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a sweet post. thanks for sharing this, jamie. i can't imagine how rewarding it is to see a student show that they've absorbed what you've poured into them. love that verse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie,

    I know God brought me to your blog today. I share all of the time on my blog that we need to remember that God places each child in our classroom for a reason and part of our job is to touch the heart of each kiddo by showing them unconditional love and patience. I even share poetry about the way God uses us in the lives of our students.

    You are touching so many hearts and you are a blessing to your kiddos and to the readers of your blog.

    I am happy to be following a sister who follows the Lord. =)

    I would be blessed if you came to visit me when you got the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...