Jan 19, 2012

lessons from Belle


Every girl wishes she could be one: a princess.  But not just any princess, a Disney princess.  My grand dreams included singing while wearing a teeny-tiny top in the ocean along with my little sea creature friends then dancing in a grand ballroom along with "Chip", the cutest teacup on the block.  I relived life of a five year old all over again when I went to see "Beauty and the Beast" in theaters this past weekend with a dear friend.  It was everything I dreamed and more.  And there's no shame that this 20-something year old went to a G rated movie.  

As I was watching I was reminded of the beautiful theme that fills this movie:
 beauty comes from within
not from make-up
not from my eye cream
not from my beloved curling iron (we're best friends)
not from the girly pink lipstick
not from my ever so perfect perfume

I've been thinking so much lately about what impact I want to leave on this world.  One thing that I loved doing and continue to dream about is working with young women.  To look at a teenage girl and tell her "you're beautiful, you're loved, you're special" fills me with to the brim with excitement.  To remind a girl that she has a Heavenly Father, that she is loved unconditionally no matter what her past or present may be, and share the importance of loving yourself.  As a teenager my life was blessed by some older girls that shared these with me, helped me love who I am, and deal with the insecurities of being a teenager.
It's a dream that hopefully God will make come true again soon.  

In the meantime I will take pictures with this cute little girl that makes me smile bigger and brighter each time we are together, reminding me that your smile is the prettiest thing you can wear, and to look for the beauty within...








6 comments:

  1. love it...and so true. what a huge lesson to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe I want to see it yet too! :) maybe i can talk the husband into it. :)
    -wHiT

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband laughed when I said I wanted to go see Beauty and the Beast! So true about beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw what a great message! :) i always did love that movie. you gals are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to work with young girls too. I do a program called Girls on the Run at my school and it is all about building girls' self esteem and confidence and running too. I love it, but it is missing the huge picture of our identity in Christ. I would love to do my own thing where I could include that too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...