I love mornings! I love sitting on the couch with a big cup of coffee snuggled up in a blanket. I love watching the day awake. My favorite things about mornings is breakfast! The Mr. and I started a tradition a while ago called "Pancake Sundays". Each Sunday we almost always make pancakes for breakfast and we switch them up every time. Well this week I had a hankering for french toast so I decided to try something new and it did not disappoint.
These are gluten free but you can always use regular bread. I began eating gluten free last year as a way to help my ever-upset tummy. Currently about 80% of what I eat is gluten free. It just makes my body feel much better. For the topping I made caramelized pears and they were phenomenal, the Mr. was begging for more. Of course, you can always top them with butter (of course), syrup, honey, walnuts, or powdered sugar.
Gluten Free French Toast with Carmelized Pears
What you'll need:
4 slices Gluten Free Bread (I really like Trader Joe's brand)
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk of choice (almond milk is my preference)
1 tsp. cinnamon
a dash of nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 pear
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
The Steps:
1. In a large shallow bowl combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeat, and vanilla.
2. Whisk it all together until it is well blended.
3. Place bread inside the mixture for about 3-4 minutes while you cut up the pear and heat your skillet.
4. Thinly slice your pear.
5. Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. (You can use butter if you don't have coconut oil, but don't use olive oil.)
6. Add your pear to the pan and begin stirring.
(I added maybe 1 tsp. of this coconut sugar to it to sweeten it up a little bit. If you want them sweeter I would add in agave nectar or honey versus sugar.)
7. Sprinkle cinnamon onto the pears and stir. Cook over low-medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, until pears are soft and begin to fall apart a little bit.
8. Cook your bread over medium-high heat on the skills for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Ahhh....isn't she just lovely???? Add toppings of choice and if you made pears smother those on top. Grab a fork and dive in.
Trust me, you will love these!











that looks so good! breakfast foods are my favorite!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE FRENCH TOAST! Maybe I should start eating gluton free? I ALWAYS have stomach aches after I eat... hmmmmm... Thanks for sharing! Gonna try this someday!
ReplyDeleteWoW this looks so GOOD!!! I'm totally a breakfast person too:))
ReplyDeleteThis looks simply delightful!!
ReplyDeletexo Shane
Yum yum yum yum! That looks so good!
ReplyDeleteDo you love that coconut sugar? I have been using it as a substitute for a lot of my sugar recipes lately and love it. A lot healthier but super sweet still.
Cant wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Wow this looks delicious! Can't wait to try this :)
ReplyDeletewow french toast with caramelized pears, that is a fancy breakfast! i love pancakes and love how you two make it a weekend tradition
ReplyDeleteThe french toast looks so so delicious--and the pears look amazing on it! I've been gluten-free for about 4 years and it is amazing the change my body has had. No more dark circles under my eyes! :) I haven't tried Trader Joe's gf bread--I normally eat Udi's. I will have to check it out!
ReplyDelete