4 more mornings I have to set my alarm for 5am or earlier...
4 more mornings filled with desperately reaching for the start button on the coffee maker in the dark...
4 more long drives to work counting down the days till summer...
4 more days filled with crossing off the never ending to-do list and scrubbing paint off of the desks...
4 more days filled with little ones who accidentally call you "mama"...
Can you tell summer is almost here?!?!? Next Tuesday is the day, the last day of school. And as much as I can't wait for it to be here it is also bittersweet because some changes are coming. That's right-next year I'm teaching second grade! I've only taught kindergarten and I have the opportunity to teach second grade next year, and I couldn't pass it up. So I'm trying to soak up all of the last kinder memories while also maintaining my patience and grace.
The one thing that I love waking up to in the morning is breakfast, especially since I have THE best granola in my pantry. And it didn't come from a box, or a bag, but straight out of a tupperware filled with the love from my hard work. I was always frightened by making granola, the ingredient list just seemed so long. But once I made it I was a changed woman, the thought of spending money on granola at the store makes me cringe.
Here is my current favorite granola recipe from yours truly: (and don't be intimidated by the ingredient list)
Vanilla Cinnamon Granola
4 c. gluten-free rolled oats (I buy the big bag from Trader Joe's)
1 c. sliced almonds
3/4 c. raw pepitas
3/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c. ground flaxseeds
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp coconut sugar crystals (purchased at Sprouts)
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c. + 2 T. honey
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3/4 c. dried cranberries
3/4 c. raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the oil, 1/4 c. sugar, and 2 Tbsp applesauce. Microwave 20-30 seconds and stir to dissolve the sugar, then stir in 1/4 c. honey and the vanilla.
4. Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and mix well until the oats and nuts are completely covered. Spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. While baking, mix together 2 Tbsp. sugar, applesauce, and honey. Set aside. After 30 minutes, remove the granola and drizzle the remaining wet ingredients on top. Use a rubber spatula to press the granola firmly onto the baking pan.
6. Bake for an additional 30-35 minutes. Let cool and then break apart.
At this point you can just start chowing down and this sweet goodness, or you can store it in an airtight container and enjoy on top of a scrumptious bowl of greek yogurt and blueberries or slice bananas.
Enjoy!







I'm a new follower! Congratulations on finishing your third year. I know that your kinders were blessed by you this year, and your second graders will be lucky to have you. You will LOVE second grade!
ReplyDeleteHow did you end up with 2nd grade? We need to catch up soon!
ReplyDeleteI love that owl!
ReplyDeleteI am excited to read about your adventure into 2nd grade! =)
Heather
Heather's Heart