Jan 23, 2012

overwhelmed

Do you ever just have so much you want to say and don't know where to start?  Well...that's me, right now, yep!  2012 has just flooded my heart with joy, love, wisdom, faith, hope, goodness, warm fuzzies, the list could go on and on.  And there is nothing major happening in our lives on the outside, but on the inside I can feel God's transformation of my hear.  

Blessed.
I just feel utterly blessed.  
God has been answering prayers, prayers we have had for over a year, prayers that I have intimately prayed for so long.  I just feel blessed to have God's peace running through me.

At church last Sunday our sermon stopped me dead in my tracks, I'm pretty sure God wanted me to be front and center to hear it too.  Our sermon was on REST.  We talked about how our society has become "workaholics" and do-ers, that we fill every box in our schedule and every ounce of our time just to find what we think will make us complete.  

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.  And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had due, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done.  So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation."
Genesis 2:1-3

God rested.  My husband and I were talking about this and he reminded me that God is God, he doesn't need rest, and yet he rested because He knew how important it was.  I don't know how I've become this way but I am a perfectionist, a mutli-tasker, and a people-pleaser.  I fill my time trying to always be better and seek approval in others eyes (even you readers).  When I'm not being productive I feel like a failure, I feel as though I should be doing something.  Hearing this sermon brought me freedom.  God gives us rest for freedom.  He rested and so should we.  

To say I was convicted would be a huge understatement, I was ready to run out of the church telling everyone what I had just heard and how I feel.  In order for me to rest I have to tackle those thoughts in my head that tell me "I should be doing something right now" or "I'm not doing enough".  I feel a huge sense of relief when I stop believing these thoughts.  There are only 24 hours in a day, and a third of them should be sleeping.  I can only do so much, and what I don't get done will be there tomorrow for me to do then.  My house doesn't have to be perfect, the laundry can sit in the basket neatly folded for a week and it's okay.  

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord."
Jeremiah 17:7

I have been memorizing this verse this past week and just feel blessed knowing that God is looking out for me, loving me, and speaking to me.  
Thanks for letting me share!
www.callmeblessed.com.png




11 comments:

  1. I am so glad that the sermon spoke to you! I think a lot of us need to hear this! :) Rest is so hard to come by when we live in a world that is so fast-paced and overachieving...but we need to remember to stop, rest, and take delight in our Lord. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this honey. I needed it more than you know. Please keep me in your prayers, I am going through a tough time dating and getting motivated to get out there. Thanks for stopping by and you should get an Erin Condren planner they are amazing!!! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - you are so encouraging. This is something that I struggle with and am working on. When I am home, if I am not always doing something or making something - even if it is for "fun" I feel lazy. I am working on just "being" home and relaxing and being with Chris and not always trying to fill every hour with something. Thanks for your reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kori-I will most definitely keep you in my prayers, I pray that God will give you that boost and direction! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right! I rest plenty, but not in the LORD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it true, though? We're so programmed to do, do, do and we forget how necessary it is to sit back and "be still." I think that sermon was speaking to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad God accepts us as we are but doesn't leave us that way. What a blessing to be reminded of how He works in us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hang in there girlie and hang onto God! He needs us to rest so He can speak to us, when we are busy busy busy He can't let us know what He wants us to hear. I'm glad you are close enough to recognize He spoke to you through the sermon on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so want to be a person that rests in Jesus! Also, I really love how excited you are about hearing from God through your pastor's message! So encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rest is wonderful, and I believe the Lord is the only one who gives true rest! I wrote about rest today too, since I haven't been getting much. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  11. "the laundry can be neatly folded in the basket for a week and thats okay" ... thank you for this. I've got two. :)

    I LOVE THIS POST!!! I am just learning rest myself... in the last couple of months God has really shown me how to rest and how to just say "no". It is so wonderful. Truly a gift from him. :)

    Where do you go to church?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...