Sep 11, 2013

never forget

We all have a story.  And we will forever remember where we were when our story began. 

For me, I was driving to the bus stop with my neighbor.  It was tenth grade. And the teachers were told not to talk to us students about it.  My history teacher disregarded that, and we watched CNN for the entire period. 

I remember being so confused, I didn't understand what was going on, and I remember feeling like I should be crying but the tears just wouldn't come.  Saying that out loud is so hard to admit now.  Now when I have a deeper understanding about what is going on in our world, what 9/11 meant back in 2001 and what it still means today.  And I'm forever grateful that I'm finally educated myself on this world and country that we live in.  

Now my heart just breaks whenever the Star Spangled Banner comes on.  The tears rise up, and I don't let them stop.  And the person that I think of more often than not is my step-dad.  My parents married in 2008, the same year my husband and I were married.  And he couldn't be at our special day because he was taking the picture above.  He's the one holding the left hand side of the flag, in Afghanistan, and he was there through the Navy reserves-already holding a full time job.  He didn't see me walk down the isle because he is one of the most amazing men I know.  Humble doesn't even begin to describe him.  

So when I think about where my story began of 9/11, I'm so thankful that my story continually changes.  The meaning of this tragic event that has united our country taken on a more personal meaning as I'm surrounded by men and women protecting our country.  And as I am a soon to be parent, I want me son to know, to understand the country he lives in, so that he has a deep appreciation and is filled with gratitude every time he hears our national anthem.  

2 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    Your mother forwarded this to me and I am very touched and totally humbled by your blog! From my perspective, the missions we flew in Iraq needed to be done and it was truly a priviledge to have served. Describing it as a priviledge might seem a bit perplexing to those who haven't served and can be nearly impossible to explain; esecially when major life events such as your Wedding Day, childrens birthdays, and major seasonal holidays were missed.
    During those times, my heart and thoughts were with you and the family. When deployed, time passes very slowly and not a single day goes by where it seems everyone has a far better place somewhere else in their minds they'd rather be. This feeling only amplifies in intensity when major life events are missed. Unfortunately, this is the reality of sacrifice and it wasn't just me, but with everyone else including all of you at home and those who served in any conflict over the course of history.
    As you know I believe in a higher calling and purpose as do most. As such, I don't know any of us even now who would hesitate to answer the call if asked to do it again. What it really comes down to is at what price do you value your freedoms and the future freedoms of your children and grandchildren?
    Freedom must be vigorously guarded and fought for, as the price for freedom is and always will remain steep.
    On this day, the focus should be on the true heroes. Lets not forget the nearly 3,000 innocent lives lost 12 years ago; the first-responders who willingly ran into the towers knowingly defying the danger; and the men and women of all branches of the armed forces(Of all conflicts) in our communities who are our wounded warriors; and especially those who paid the ultimate price for freedom.
    God has blessed me with many wonderful things; mainly an all-inclusive family, children, and now grandchildren. Jamie, you are truly one of those wonderful blessings and I can only encourage you to keep learning and teaching about the great country we live in. Thank you for what you do (Teaching is a vital skillset) and for thinking about me on this day -
    Love you,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...