Jul 12, 2011

ch-ch-ch-chia

So my mom and I were out and about, and ended up in Ramona Family Naturals.  It is a natural food market in little, ol' Ramona.  While we were there I was showing her some good items to add to her diet.  Chia seeds were amongst the items I pointed out.  Of course, she asked me why they were so good for her.  And I said, "Because!"  My mother-in-law asked me the same question after reading my blog a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't give her the health benefits.

I knew they were good for me, so I decided to do a little bit of research.  Chia seeds are a "superfood".  They are full of antioxidants, omega-3's, and fiber.  Among the websites I searched I found something from Dr. Oz..and we all know how amazing Dr. Oz is right! (sarcasm added).

Dr. Oz from the Oprah show says:
The truth is, chia seeds are actually good for you -- we’re talking
really good for you! In fact, they just may be one of the
healthiest things around. Here’s why:
Nutty-tasting whole-grain chia seeds are loaded with omega-3
fatty acids, and they have among the highest antioxidant activity
of any whole food -- even more than fresh blueberries. And they
do good stuff for the body, like keeping blood pressure and
blood sugar under control. 
I like to add chia seeds on top of bananas and almond butter, as well as in my oatmeal.  They have a nutty flavor and give a nice texture.  When I make my protein smoothies they give it a good little boost as well!  So, now my mothers are informed and hopefully they will start incorporating them into their diet!

1 comment:

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...