I'm a sucker for the Olympics. I always have. I remember as a little girl having my family crowd around the TV, cheering on our country, and how much I wanted to be a gymnast. It's a funny thing because I was never an athletic person. Ever. My mom tried to get me into swimming, which I did for a couple years. Then the way too early practices did me in. We also tried out soccer...but I kept breaking my arm (not related to soccer) and had to sit it out. My mom still tries to make me feel a little bit better about myself by telling me that I was the best goalie and put up a mean fight.
As I was sitting watching the women's marathon today I was completely consumed by Kara Goucher. I think if I were to ever admit that I had a girl crush on an athlete, it would be her. As she was running one of the commentators was sharing that she vowed she would never do a marathon, and then there she was. Running her heart out. It reminded me of my non-athletic days and what all I had to go through in order to be able to run today. I know I'm not a completive runner and I've only done two half-marathons, but it is better than nothing. Running is hard and it has been a journey to get where I am today.
As I type this I'm laughing inside my head when I recall what I called "running" back in high school. Again...I wasn't athletic. I did dance, but PE was my absolute least favorite class. Running a mile would take me easily 15 minutes, and I'd be plagued with side aches. At home I would tell myself to go run. So I'd put on some shoes, a sports bra, my shorts and Tee and head down our dirt road. What seemed like a mile that I poured my heart and soul into was really probably a quarter or a mile-maybe half. I'd come home thinking I just won a medal.
Once I went away to college I finally started gaining some self-esteem. My roommates would go for runs to workout, just nice jogs. I decided that I should do the same. I remember my first run. I think I ran a mile and it was the hardest mile ever. My legs felt like the logs, my body stayed low to the ground, and it took a ton of effort. I decided to make a plan. I mapped out a two-mile loop and created mini goal points that I would run to. I'd run a half-mile, then walk a bit, then repeat. To help me not give up on myself I would kiss the back of my hand whenever I made it to a goal point and tell myself a positive phrase. It was much easier to tell myself "just give up" or "you look ridiculous". But I pushed through.
I can still remember the first 3 mile run that I completed running the entire time. My roommate and I would encourage each other along the way, and when we got back to our house I was on cloud nine. I wasn't fast, I wasn't a runner, but I could run and get the job done. It helped me feel good about myself. Instead of looking at my body for what it wasn't, how big I thought it was, or how much it failed me I was able to see how it took me places, it gave me strength and endurance to run, and I eventually made peace with my body.
Three miles became five, then seven, and then my co-worker talked me up enough to do a half-marathon. Now I run because it helps me let off steam, it clears my head, it reduces my stress, it helps me appreciate my body and what it does for me.
I write this not to pat myself on the back but to encourage anyone out there that has thought or currently thinks they can't do something. The Jamie in middle school and high school and the Jamie now are two very different girls. I would've never thought that I could run a half marathon, much less 5 miles, but I've run two and look forward to the day when I run another one.
Here are some of my biggest running tips:
1. Find a partner.
It is SO much easier to run when you have someone with you, ideally at your pace. You don't have to talk to one another to encourage one another. These keeps you accountable and it is much harder to quit on a run or decide not to run when you have someone counting on you.
2. Get fitted for a shoe.
If you have a RoadRunner Sports or a different running store nearby, invest the money, and get fitted for a proper running shoe. It makes the world of difference. Once I got my running shoes, my whole body felt better. I learned that I pronate my feet and needed a stability shoe. Running was much easier after that because I wasn't working against my body but with it because it was moving the way it should.
3. Set mini goals.
Decide how far you want to run. Maybe your first run out will be a mile and you decide you'll run half of that. Once you complete these mini goals you will feel successful and will be more likely to create harder goals and see them through.
4. Have a positive mantra.
My friend Colleen is an amazing runner, and her motto is "No regrets". This has helped her run not only countless half-marathongs but a few full marathons. A lot of times when I'm running I tell myself "You can do this" or sing a worship song in my head. Remember to stay positive!
5. Plan a fun run with friends or family.
My first ever "race" was a 5k Turkey Trot. I had a blast and caught the bug to go on and run an 8k then a half-marathon.








I love running too. The hardest part is motivating yourself to get out the door. The rest is a peice of cake. I loved your story dear!
ReplyDelete-wHiT
Hi Friend!!! I definitely needed this dose of inspiration after a TERRIBLE long run!! I am on the verge of breaking up with running. But, I just have to remember NO REGRETS :)
ReplyDeleteLove you long time ;)
I've always wanted to be able to run, but I just can't get very far at all. I just might try your tips though. Thanks so much for the encouragement dear :)
ReplyDelete