Well, the only logical way to ring in this glorious season is to go apple picking, silly! I know you must be thinking "that apple looks a lot like a pear". It sure is a pear, and I never knew you could go pear picking! We are privileged to live so close to Julian here in San Diego, home of "Apple Days" and beautiful apple orchards. Two years ago, my sweet friend Co and I went on our very first apple picking adventure. Sadly our timing wasn't great and we ended up having to find apples from the ground because we waited so long to finally get up there.
This year we made it our goal to go to Julian early in the season, and we definitely hit the jackpot! On our way up we looked up where to go and came across O'Dell's Orchard. It had amazing reviews, and it was a pear orchard. Who wouldn't want to go pick some delicious pears? The couple that runs the orchard were just the sweetest bunch, I wanted to hug that dear old lady and take her home with me. After we got our fill our pears, we strolled down the street to Volcan Valley Apple Farm.
What shall I do with all of my pears and apples? I'm planning on making this ginger spiced pear bread and this slow cooked apple butter! Happy Fall!












I must have JUST missed you! We went apple picking at Volcan Valley too!!
ReplyDelete