Dec 13, 2011

finding joy

The following is from a guest post I wrote last week but I have found myself rereading it as reminder of the reason for the season.  This is what is on my heart...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I wanted to share with you something that is on my heart this holiday season.  First, can you believe that it is already December?!?!  I'm still wrapping my mind around that!  December always seems to be a very busy time for me as my life is infiltrated with report cards, testing, parent-teacher conferences, final projects, midterms, holiday shopping, baking, crafting, and all other traditions we partake in this time of year.  Not only is it stressful because of everything that is going on, I always seem to stress out financially as well as I love giving gifts especially to family and close friends.  

I was listening to some Christmas music on my way to school the other day (I'm addicted) and "Joy to the World" came on.  As I sang along and listened it was a beautiful reminder of why we celebrate Christmas and hope overcame me.  

Joy came to the world because God our great Creator loved His creation so much that He sent His son to reveal His story.  
His goodness toward mankind would be recognized through this.  Christ's birth is the most glorious celebration and has had a profound impact on Earth.  I know it sounds cliche, but are we remembering the "reason for the season?".  As a society we get so wrapped up in spending money to buy gifts, decorate the house, please this person, etc.  

This season I am rejoicing and this flows over all of my stress and makes it dissipate.  Amidst all of the hustle and bustle with work and school right now I am joyful.  There are so many things that should be stressing me out, and yet I know that Christ is bigger than my stress and worries and will guide me through everything.  

When it comes to gifts this year my husband's family is choosing to do something truly special.  Last year we all received piggy banks.  Over this past year we were supposed to collect any loose change and place it inside.  At Easter we decided that all of our piggy bank money as a family would go to Samaritan's Purse.  They are infamously known for their "Operation Christmas Child" in which you pack a shoe box with belongings for a needy child overseas.  This year they actually have a gift catalog.  Their gifts include feeding a baby for a week, teaching a child how to read and write, blankets, clean water, sheep and livestock.   How amazing is it that we can put our money to help others versus stock up on things that will eventually make its way into the back of the closet?  

I hope that you find JOY this season, and that this JOY covers any stress or worries you have.  I also pray that you will find one way to give to others this season.  Whether it is through an organization like Samaritan's Purse or even buying coffee for the person behind you at Starbucks.  How amazing is it that we can show Christ's love this season, the season that reminds us about the most important gift we have ever received!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Jamie! I always get too stressed about finding good gifts for everyone and getting everything done. That is so silly when you think about the real reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you thank you thank you for this reminder! :) i always stress out at this time as well. and i love what your husband's family is doing!! what a special thing to do and for such a good cause!!

    xo. chelsea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...