Nov 23, 2011

{thankful vol. 21} family

Before I begin my post today I have to give a shout out to my little brother who turns 21 today!  Woot woot!
Today I am utterly and gratefully thankful for family.  My family has changed so much throughout the years and my view of what family is and how it is intertwined in your life has taken on a different meaning.  I could give you the rundown on how my family is comprised, but we might be here through Black Friday.  Instead I will tell you that it has taken me some time to realize how important family is no matter how they are related to you, and that it is hard to find the words to deeply express my love for my family.


My brother and sister are actually my step-siblings and the crazy thing is that we are no longer related through marriage.  However, no legal ties could ever separate the deep love we have for one another or replace the remarkable and hilarious memories from our childhood.

I am thankful for my brother and sister who have taught me to love one another unconditionally, laugh no matter the circumstances, give more than you can imagine, and cherish the beautiful memories we make together.  We don't get to see each other too often with my sister living in Arkansas, but looking back at pictures that mark our time together is heart warming.  
I am thankful for my step-dad because of the love he gives my mom.  He is gentle, wise, respectful, honest, giving, loving, and caring.  He has shown me that you can do anything you set your mind to, and you can always run harder than your little legs can carry you.  He is retired from the Navy and I am forever grateful for the service he has done for our country.  I love to see the smile on my mom's face when he walks into the room or when she is just talking about him.  

I am thankful that God has brought all aspects of my family together and has strengthened my relationship with my dad, step-mom, and sisters.  My dad continues to tell me "Family is family, no matter what".  I love how committed my family remains through the distance and the love my dad and step-mom bestow upon us.  God has truly blessed me with an abundance of family members, but each and everyone of them are so near and dear to me.  

It wasn't until I married Daniel that I realized what family is, how much you will do for your family, and how to truly love one another.  Daniel's family has been the most accepting, giving, and loving family I have known.  They have always loved me as their own even when we were just dating.  I love Papa's big hugs and his endearing statements when I walk into the room, I love how his mom provides me with wisdom that makes the tears well up inside, and I love how Daniel's brothers will do anything for a family member.  I especially love our tradition on Christmas Eve-mathicng PJ's in front of the fire place.  

One day when we start our own family, there will be deep roots of values and morals from each of our families.  
Family is irreplaceable, unconditional, and shows you how to love more than you ever thought possible.  
I am beyond thankful that God has given me so much family to love and cherish and that He has shown me how valuable family is.  

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes things in my family are a bit nutty...and we have a lot of issues..but hearing this post just reminds me of how thankful I should be to have a family that always loves and supports me! You really encouraged me today. I am so glad that you are still so close with your bother and sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh i had to do a double take because in the photo where everyone is wearing chargers t-shirts one guy looks exactly like my brother in law. down to the glasses and everything and also being a chargers fan too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your love note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...