I have been thinking so much lately, thinking about where life has brought me, where life has been, where I've been, who I am....just thinking. With New Years approaching I've been also thinking a lot about resolutions. I have never really made any resolutions and the reason is pretty terrible. You see, I have always had goals for life but didn't want to say, "This year I will________" because I was afraid of setting myself up for failure.
This year all of this thinking has brought me to a point where I'm excited to make some resolutions. Success, to me, has always been measured by my accomplishments and physical things. Graduating college, getting my teaching credential, getting married, landing a teaching job, working on my masters, buying a new car, taking trips....
This year I want to take this image of success and tear it down. When I measure my success solely on my accomplishments in this matter, life doesn't feel hole some. One book has had a major impact on my thinking lately...
As I've read through this amazing book so many of my weaknesses have been brought to light, God has been speaking directly to my heart, and God has challenged my thinking. This book has made me vulnerable and opened up my heart. My goals for this year are very different than in years past as they are centered around me and not my accomplishments, but who I AM. They are a work in progress...
Goal #1: LOVE who I am, and love me for me.
A big weakness of mine is to compare myself to everyone else. I worry that I'm not doing enough or being enough because of this and it causes me to loose focus on who I am.
"When I get an overly idyllic view of someone else's circumstances, I often remind myself out loud, "I am not equipped to handle what they have-both good and bad.""
"When I compare myself to others and focus on wanting what they have, it quite simple wears me out trying to figure out how to have more, be more, and do more. That's why Jesus instructs worn-out people, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest in your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30)."
Goal #2: Not be so hard on myself.
I have this vision in my mind of who I am supposed to be but this vision comes from everywhere else. This goal along with goal #1, but when stress hits or something doesn't go quite right my mind enters into this state where all I do is harp on myself. This year I want to daily remind myself that I am ME, accept that, and ask God to help me love me. I have to give up some expectations I have for myself and realize that I do my best each and everyday, and that is enough.
Goal #3: Stress LESS
My life is defined by business, and it is eating away at me. I'm still working out the kinks on how this will unfold in my life. I'm praying and asking God for his vision for me, asking God to show me how to weed out the unnecessary, and giving over my schedule to Him.
Goal #4: Shine!
This past month I have been inspired to live out the life that God has called us to, serve Him and love others. I want my love for Christ to shine through me. My goal is to pray that God would bring more opportunities in my life for me to SHINE for Him and inspire other.
Goal #4: Shine!
This past month I have been inspired to live out the life that God has called us to, serve Him and love others. I want my love for Christ to shine through me. My goal is to pray that God would bring more opportunities in my life for me to SHINE for Him and inspire other.
Shine Your light so all can see it
Lift it up, 'cause the whole world needs it
Love has come, what joy to hear it
He has overcome
He has overcome
Lift it up, 'cause the whole world needs it
Love has come, what joy to hear it
He has overcome
He has overcome
Happy 2012!











Those are lovely goals! I could work on each one more too! Thanks for your inspiration!
ReplyDeletejust found your blog and i'm your newest follower :) your goals are an inspiration!
ReplyDeletehappy new year!
XO
erin
sweetnessitself.blogspot.com
all great resolutions/changes that we could all do well to apply in our lives!
ReplyDeleteYour post reminds me of the J.J. Heller song "Love Me" .. And you do shine my sweet baby girl.
ReplyDeletethese are definitely awewsome goals for the new year!!
ReplyDelete